It can be difficult to find great books for tweens and younger teens, and frustrating for both parents and kids. My son’s birthday is right after New Year’s, and so we spend most of December and January in a holiday/birthday frenzy. As he gets older, gifts are harder and harder to figure out. This year though was really a struggle, because even he had no idea what he wanted for his birthday (that was also realistic and reasonable).
For his birthday, we decided to get him a Kindle. He has an iPad and can very easily read on that, however, it is so easy to be distracted on the iPad because there are so many other things going on. On a Kindle, you read a book, and that’s the end.
I put a question out there to my Facebook friends (crowdsourcing at its finest) to help me compile a list of great books recommended for an 11 year old boy so that I could give him his Kindle fully loaded with books that were chosen specifically for him. I got some recommendations of great books for tweens and young teens that I’ve shared on the list below. Enjoy!
10 Great Books for Tweens & Young Teens
- The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1)by Rick Riordan (this is the first in a series of 5 books)
- Holes by Louis Sachar
- Frindle by Andrew Clements
- I Funny: A Middle School Story by James Patterson (the sequel to this just recently came out, I Even Funnier)
- Matt Christopher sports books
- Anything for the younger set by author Carl Hiaasen – Chomp, Hoot and Scat are a few
- The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
- Stranded by Jeff Probst (this is the first in a series of at least 3 books, written by THAT Jeff Probst!)
- A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass
What’s are some great books for tweens or younger teens that your child has read and loved? Leave it in the comments here (please note how old your child is too!).
**Disclosure – this post contains affiliate links**