As a kid, I remember watching shows on TV that depicted families relaxing and sitting around, playing games and just spending quality time together on a daily basis. In our real life, these moments come not so often and are usually sandwiched between doing homework, running to a birthday party, sports game or other extra-curricular activity. When we were kids in the 70’s/80’s/90’s, there were fewer distractions than there are today – there were less channels on television, no computers, fewer video game options and we were much less scheduled than our kids are now.
Family Game Night is something that could work for families and encourage spending quality time together. Think it will be difficult to schedule the time? DVR one or two of your regular television shows and watch them after the kids go to sleep for the night.
John Pandiscio, founder of FamilyTime Fun, gave us 5 great reasons to have a dedicated family game night, whether it’s once a week, once a month or even a few times a year.
5 Reasons to Have Family Game Night
1. Quality Time The importance of spending quality time together as a family cannot be overstated. It is important for bonding, building relationships and improving communication.
2. Learning Opportunity Children can learn many important things from family game night from good sportsmanship to importance of following directions to improved communication skills.
3. Inexpensive Entertainment In a day and age when even activities like going out to the movies can be economically out of reach, a family game night is affordable. Games are generally inexpensive, last a long time, and can even be borrowed and traded with other families.
4. Healthy habits Having a family game night is healthy. It is good brain exercise, can be good physical exercise (depending on the game being played), and keeps kids from simply sitting in front of the television for hours on end, which has been linked to many negative consequences.
5. Fun factor Family game time can be a time when the family has fun and laughs together – this alone will help to create memories and good times!
More Family Game Night Posts