School is almost out! This summer we will be expanding our “what to do this weekend” to cover the whole week. I, for one, can not wait for school to be out – not more homework, no more packing lunches and no more running from one activity to the next to the next to the next until all hours of the night.
If you aren’t sure what to do this weekend, here are our top picks for families on Long Island this weekend (including a few that are a little further away). Enjoy!
- Admission to the NY Aquarium (Brooklyn) on Fridays beginning at 3:00 p.m. is by pay-what-you-wish donation. Every dollar you give supports our work in caring for animals here in New York and around the world. Recommended donation is $5 per person (note this is a HUGE discount on regular admission).
- Support a great cause – the Long Island Take Steps for Crohn’s and Colitis Walk is Saturday at 5pm in Massapequa. Many patients feel that they are alone in their struggle with IBD, not knowing how to explain to others what they go through. Take Steps provides the perfect environment for patients and their families to come together and know they are not alone in this fight. The night is filled with music, food, kids activities, local entertainment and most importantly the company of hundreds of people who truly understand the impacts of IBD. There is no registration fee to participate in Take Steps but all fundraising participants will receive an event wristband. You must have a wristband to receive food and beverages. Raise $100 and you will receive a Take Steps T-shirt!
- Hang out with the animals at The Bronx Zoo’s Animal Tales Extravaganza.
- Nunley’s Carousel is having their 1912 Centennial Celebration at the Cradle of Aviation Museum (Garden City) on Saturday and Sunday from noon to 6pm. $5 per person will get you a ride on the carousel and festival activities such as Midway Games typical to a visit on Coney Island’s Boardwalk; music by a Barbershop Quartet, old time children’s games such as hoops & sticks, sack races and croquet. There will be old fashioned crafts and foods for sale reminiscent of 1912 amusement park cuisine. The festivities will be joined by the personality of ex-President Theodore Roosevelt, portrayed by James Foote, who in 1912 was running for President once again as the candidate of the Bull Moose Party.
- PM Pediatrics is holding a CPR & First Aid Class at their Lake Success location on Saturday from 9am – 3pm. HeartSaver First Aid CPR AED will cover the basic treatment of a wide variety of pediatric injuries and illnesses including the management of bleeding, broken bones and sprains. The course will also cover adult, child and infant CPR as well as the relief of choking and the use of an AED. To register, please e-mail CPR@pmpediatrics.com
- See a show: Cinderella (John W. Engeman Theater, Northport) or Goldilocks (Theatre Three, Port Jefferson) are both playing Saturday and Sunday. Plaza Theatrical makes their last stop at LICM in Garden City with Blues Clues: The Most Spectacular Place, on Saturday.
- Pottery Barn in Roosevelt Field Mall is holding a FREE World Ocean Day Celebration on Saturday. They will be bringing the science museum experience to the store with hands-on activities, quizzes, songs and more. Kids are invited to explore with us as we learn about dolphins, whales and other marine animals. An RSVP is required to reserve your spot – call the store at 516.739.2688.
- Enjoy the museums: Long Island Children’s Museum has scheduled programs & shows throughout the weekend and the Nassau County Museum of Art is hosting Family Sundays at the Museum.
Whatever you do, have a great time!