I will admit, my kids are both addicted to their iPads. They each have their own (they saved up their birthday money to buy them) and they will happily use them to Skype with grandparents, text with friends, watch Netflix or play games. They’re easy for travel too. While Aaron is into all types of sports games, Camryn often struggles with what to play – many games are often too babyish or too mature for her.
When I was asked to review PlayTown: My Story Maker, although it notes as it is for ages 3-9, I did have my reservations, worrying that maybe it just would be too babyish for her. I can, however, admit when I am wrong. Cam is now going on her 3rd hour of playing with this app!
PlayTown: My Story Maker lets kids create, personalize and narrate their own individual stories, using characters, backgrounds, music and their own voices to bring their imagination to life. Here’s how it works:
- The user is asked for their name, sex and age. The narrator is then able to personalize the instructions.
- The child can select a scene (play set) for their story – these play sets range from traveling to playing sports, the beach with a treasure chest and even outer space!
- Kids can then use their imagination to create whatever they want – select their own stage, props, accessories, characters – it’s really totally up to them.
- They can narrate their story and record it with the app as a voice over to whatever they selected.
- When the story is done, they can play it back and watch it themselves, or they can share within the app with family and friends. PS – grandparents LOVE this.
It’s really cute!
For a 7 year old, what did she love about the app? Here are her own words-
- I like to make up stories and sometimes I don’t remember them, so I can record them and listen to them over and over again.
- Every story can be different!
- I like to add the funny music at the end.
- The character’s faces can be everything – funny, happy, sad or scared. I like the scared one the best!
- I like to color pictures and then use them to be my stage for my story.
- I took a picture of myself and made myself a mermaid for my next story!
PlayTown: My Story Maker app is FREE to download for Android (https://play.google.com/
Disclosure: I was asked to review this app and will receive small compensation for my time. As always, all opinions expressed in this post are my own.