Remember when 2014 sounded like some crazy futuristic time period where cars would be flying instead of driving? I can’t believe 2014 is here. This is a big year and I thought long and hard about making the same tired any resolutions and decided not to. Instead, I decided to focus on the good things that I’m looking forward to this year.
First, here’s what we all felt like in my house on New Year’s Day – this picture illustrates it perfectly!
Image from Flickr by nixter
Okay, back to the New Year’s list. Here are a few things I’m looking forward to in 2014
- Vacation Is it bad the year has barely started and I’m looking forward to vacation? Last year we had an amazing trip to Hawaii- we won’t top that this year, but are definitely looking forward to getting away at some point.
- Summer I guess the same question as above. Actually last year, my son went to sleepaway camp for the first time, so this will be his second year. I’m looking forward to having the knowledge that he is with friends he’s missed all year and having the best time once again, rather than stressing about how he’s doing being away like I was last year. It will also be my daughter’s last summer home before she starts sleepaway camp, so hopefully we’ll be able to do a few fun things, knowing that we really won’t ever have this time alone with her again.
- Books In 2013, I got back into reading, something I’ve neglected since my days of commuting to the city for work every day have ended. I went on some crazy reading binges and according to my Goodreads profile, I read 38 books last year. I also happily contributed my recommendations to my friend Christine‘s post, 80 Books for Your Booklist. In 2014, I want to read 45 books and plan to carve out the time to accomplish that.
- Cooking As a family, we recently started to pay more attention to the labels on our food and cut out some of the overly processed garbage we are putting into our bodies. I’ve already seen a difference in my kids and am hoping to continue with this this year making more food changes to eat healthier.
- Exercise I actually started off this year putting our gym membership on hold (we were paying every single month and never going) so that’s kind of a new twist to resolutions. I am looking forward to being a bit more active this year and doing some kind of activity a few times a week. Yesterday afternoon me and my daughter played Just Dance Kids 2014 on the WiiU which was cute and fun. My amazing friend Rebecca lent me some of her exercise equipment and gave me some amazing advice on how to start slowly, so I am cautiously optimistic that this year will be the year! (PS If you’re looking for some great motivation on the fitness front, you should definitely check out her Facebook page, Power Through Fitness.)
- Friends I’m looking forward this year to really making my friends understand how important they are to me. For all of us, life gets in the way – we spend our weekends running from sports game to birthday party and just all around trying to get everything done, that is rare that we have downtime to really just enjoy spending time with our friends. In 2013, I made some really good new friends, but I also totally dropped the ball on something that was really important relating to one of my oldest friends. Not great. 2014 will be a year of friends, for sure.
- Blog Changes If you’ve known LIParentSource since I started back in 2006, you’ve seen the site go through many changes, some high and some low. Looking forward to seeing what 2014 will bring, but I know there will be major revamps in post content, what the blog looks like, who we’re working with – maybe even a name change in the future? We’ll see – whatever it is, it will definitely be big and exciting.
- Birthdays My kids look forward to their birthdays all year, but this year, my husband and I BOTH have the same big birthday coming up! We are 6 months apart and we haven’t discussed what we will do to celebrate, but I definitely can’t wait to see what we will decide. Note – I’m looking forward to the celebrating part, not so much the big number….
So there it is. Maybe they sound like resolutions, but whatever you want to call them, I really can’t wait to see what 2014 brings us!
What are you looking forward to this year? Leave some notes in the comments below if you want – can’t wait to hear!