Yesterday, the world lost a great man and a great thinker, Steve Jobs. It is amazing to me that this one man revolutionized technology and changed the way that people across the world live their daily lives. Across the internet, people from all walks of life and every corner of the globe are posting their sadness at the too-early loss (Twitter hashtags like #ThankYouSteve and #iSad are updating at incredibly high rates).
Looking back, Steve Jobs is remembered for saying some incredible things about everything from Apple to Microsoft to his personal experiences and philosophies on life. Here’s our top 10 Steve Jobs quotes.
- “Innovation has nothing to do with how many R&D dollars you have. When Apple came up with the Mac, IBM was spending at least 100 times more on R&D. It’s not about money. It’s about the people you have, how you’re led, and how much you get it.” —–Fortune Magazine, 11/9/98
- “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”—–Stanford University Commencement Address, 6/12/05
- “Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes… the ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things… they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”—–Apple advertisement, written by Steve Jobs
- “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me … Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful… that’s what matters to me.”—– The Wall Street Journal, Summer 1993
- “My job is to not be easy on people. My job is to make them better.”—–CNNMoney.com, 3/7/08
- “Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
- “Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?”—–Odyssey: Pepsi to Apple: A Journey of Adventure, Ideas, and the Future by John Sculley and John A. Byrne, 1987
- “It’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.”—–BusinessWeek, 5/25/98
- “I’m the only person I know that’s lost a quarter of a billion dollars in one year…. It’s very character-building.”—–Apple Confidential 2.0: The Definitive History of the World’s Most Colorful Company by Owen W. Linzmayer, 2004
- “For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.”—–Stanford University Commencement Address, 6/12/05
What would our world have been like had Steve Jobs been given another 10 or 20 years? We’ll only be able to imagine what else he would have come up with.
R.I.P. Steve – thank you for changing everything about our world.