I’ve been a huge fan of Idina Menzel since the 1990’s when she was in Rent on Broadway. Over the years, she’s appeared on Broadway as Amneris in Disney’s Aida, as Elphaba in Wicked (for which she won a Tony for in 2004), as Lea Michelle’s birth mother on Glee, and returned last year to Broadway as Elizabeth in the musical If/Then.
If/Then tells the story of Elizabeth, a 30-something woman who gets divorced and moves back to New York City to get a new start in life. She reconnects with her friend Lucas, and meets a new friend, Kate and in the opening scene, she has a choice – to go with Lucas or to go with Kate. The rest of the show details both paths that Elizabeth’s life could take, based on that one choice. If you’ve ever seen the movie Sliding Doors, it is a similar concept, with two story lines playing out pretty much side by side.
The themes that run throughout If/Then include fate, coincidence and chance vs. planning, numbers and calculations. It will make you think about life, question your own choices and think ‘What if’ on a few levels.
Last summer, I went and saw If/Then from the front row, which was nothing short of amazing. I was absolutely lost in the story and the music from the first note. For months after, I listened to the soundtrack, loving each and every time. Last week, I was happy to go and see the show again for my second, and sadly final, time. It did not disappoint – and was possibly better than the first time because I knew all of the music and was able to follow the different stories a bit closer.
Yesterday, If/Then played its final performance on the Broadway stage, much to the dismay of thousands of fans of the cast (which includes the amazing LaChanze, Anthony Rapp, James Snyder and more). In honor of that final performance, I put together a few of my favorite quotes from the amazing score. Enjoy!
- What would you do if you could do it all over? What would you do if you could start it all new?
What Would You Do
- Once every day, your life starts again, No one can say just how or just when. Somehow the world turns inside out and then, what if?
- I might just be the man to be with you forever, you never know.
You Never Know
- I’m a doctor and a soldier, I’ve been shelled and under fire. But kid, if I say that you don’t scare me, I’m a liar.
- Deep down, I’m a coward, afraid to let you in. But the only thing more frightening is to say ‘What might have been?”.
Here I Go
- The universe has a message for you and if you’re smart, then you’ll let it through. Just a gentle shout, signal from above, it’s plain to see, it’s meant to be.
It’s a Sign
- Now we’re old enough to know that one road ends where one begins.
Some Other Me
PS – There are so many amazing shows on Broadway, keep your eyes open for great ways to get discount tickets – Broadway Week should be coming up again soon!