Welcome to the first Weekend Plans post of 2015! Every Friday morning, we will give you a ‘heads up’ on some really fun things to do on Long Island over the weekend. Remember that if you subscribe to this blog, you’ll receive this information by e-mail – with more than enough time to plan your weekends. If you are working on or know of an upcoming event that should be considered for a future Weekend Plans post, shoot me a quick e-mail with a description & URL for event details (please include “Weekend Plans” in the subject of the email).
Enough about that – let’s get on with it! Enjoy the following super fun things to do on Long Island this weekend!
Things to do on Long Island – January 3/4, 2015
Some events require advance reservations and/or ticketing, so make sure to plan ahead!
- Learn all about germs at Family Science Saturday at the Long Island Science Center. (Riverhead)
- Explore the Nassau County Museum of Art during Family Sundays at the Museum. (Roslyn Harbor)
- Free crafts for kids at Lakeshore Learning Center (New Hyde Park)
- Through January 22, enjoy GingerBread Lane at the New York Science Center. The entire GingerBread Lane is made of edible ingredients – gingerbread, royal icing and candy. Look at chef John Lovitch’s gingerbread creations that he drafted, designed, baked, planned, built and decorated over the course of a year. Last year’s exhibit was the largest gingerbread village in the world, recognized by the 2014 Guiness World Records. (Corona, Queens)
- Learn how to build a mini-sled at the Home Depot free hands-on workshop for kids ages 5 -12. Register online in advance – these workshops get filled up pretty quickly! (All Home Depot Locations)
- Celebrate the birthday of the baby trout at the Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery – complete with cake and singing ‘Happy Birthday’! (Cold Spring Harbor)
- This Saturday (1/3) is the last day of the season to bring the family to enjoy Bayville Winter Wonderland – enjoy skating, a classic holiday train ride and more, complete with Santa Claus. (Bayville)
- If you have a Bank of America card, take advantage of the Museums on Us program and get free admission to over 150 museums nationwide on the first weekend of every month. There are many local museums included in this program, so go this weekend!
- Get in on your last opportunity of the year to see the Jones Beach Holiday Lights Spectacular before they close for the season! (Wantagh)
- See Ken Waldman, the Fiddling Poet of Alaska, as he shares Alaska-set stories with Appalchian-style string-band music and original poetry for a unique performance at the Long Island Children’s Museum. (Garden City)
Shows on Long Island – January 3/4, 2015
There are so many shows at local theaters going on this weekend, it needed its own list:
- Broadhollow at Elmont presents Aladdin
- CM Performing Arts Center (Oakdale) presents Peter Pan
- Showplace at the Bellmore Movies presents Frosty the Snowman
- Goat on a Boat Puppet Theater presents a puppet show Help Save Monkey!
- Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts presents The Wizard of Oz
- Bayway Arts Center (Bay Shore) presents The Little Mermaid
No matter what you do, have a great weekend!
If you’re a local business and you’re looking to sponsor a Weekend Plans post, please e-mail info @ LIParentSource.com and include “Weekend Plans Sponsor Inquiry” in your subject.