Has your family gotten sick yet this season? So many things are going around – flu, strep throat and an awful stomach virus. We’ve been luck this year so far (***knock on wood***) aand I’m dreading the night that my kids go to sleep fine but I hear “Mommy, I threw up in my bed” around 3am. Every winter, I feel like the germs come into our house in December and stick around until April. Luckilly this year we’ve had a few warm days and were able to open some windows and try and get some of the yuck out. Did you know that statistics show that 4 out of 5 illnesses are spread by touch? For those of us with kids in school and after-school programs, that is not what we want to hear.
Here’s the million dollar question: How can you keep germs out this winter? We’ve put together some tips for parents to head off those monsters….
- Wash hands often with warm water and soap for at least 15 seconds. Pretend it’s a game for your kids by counting to 15.
- Use a disinfectant to wash down surfaces in your house (kitchen counters, etc.) such as method disinfecting wipes.
- Make sure your kids get enough sleep at night. Lack of sleep will cause a lower response from their immune system. Try and stick as close to a schedule as you can (definitely easier said than done).
- Talk to your doctor about the flu shot for you and/or your child. This vaccine has been controversial, but discuss your concerns and ask questions to determine if the flu shot is right for your family.
- Increase the intake of vitamin C which will boost immune systems. Ask your pediatrician for a recommendation for a supplement before giving anything to your child.
- Exercise with your kids. Many gyms hold Mommy & Me classes or have special pricing on membership for kids. Purchasing kids’ exercise videos or playing a game that will keep them active indoors is another great option.
- Dress your kids appropriately for the weather. Don’t forget the hat – it will prevent body heat from escaping through their head. Keep their ears covered, hands warm and feet dry.
If you do anything we don’t mention that works for you, let us know in the comments below!