Happy December! Do you have your holiday shopping underway? I did not shop Black Friday but know plenty of people who did. The consensus was that the stores didn’t have that great deals this year. I’m glad that I was sleeping in my warm bed, recovering from hosting Thanksgiving at our house on Thursday, and not in the mall at 5am that day.
Are you going away for Christmas break? Do not go anywhere without reading our tips for traveling with kids. Or if you are going on a road trip, we’ve found the secret to no whining from the kids. Seriously.
If you don’t yet have plans for New Year’s Eve, you’ll want to check out this list of family friendly celebrations across Long Island. It is growing as events are updated, so check them out and start making your plans.
As always, Weekend Plans, our roundup of fun things to do on Long Island over the weekend, is below. Of course if you subscribe to our blog, you’ll receive all of this great info by e-mail on Friday mornings, with more than enough time to plan your weekends. Click through any of the links for more information about each event. And if you are working on or know of an upcoming event that should be considered for a future Weekend Plans post, shoot me a quick e-mail with a description & URL for event details (please include “Weekend Plans” in the subject of the email).
Things to do on Long Island – December 6/7, 2014
- Do your kids love to make a mess? Let them do it and then have someone else clean it up at LICM’s Messy Afternoons. (Garden City)
- Through January 3, bring the family to enjoy Bayville Winter Wonderland – enjoy skating, a classic holiday train ride and more, complete with Santa Claus. (Bayville)
- Warm your spirit this holiday season as you witness toys that come to life, a Christmas tree that grows before your eyes, flowers that dance, and snowflakes that waltz in this classic magical story in Clara’s Dream, The Nutcracker at the Patchogue Theater. (Patchogue)
- If you have a child in elementary school, chances are that you’ve heard of, and quite possibly have read one or two books about Junie B. Jones. This Saturday, she’ll be live on stage in Junie B. in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells at the Tilles Center. (Greenvale)
- Explore the Nassau County Museum of Art on Family Sundays (Roslyn Harbor)
- Free crafts for kids at Lakeshore Learning Center (New Hyde Park)
- If you have a Bank of America card, take advantage of the Museums on Us program and get free admission to over 150 museums nationwide on the first weekend of every month. There are many local museums included in this program, so go this weekend!
Some events require advance reservations and/or ticketing, so make sure to plan ahead!
If you’re a local business and you’re looking to sponsor a Weekend Plans post, please e-mail info @ LIParentSource.com and include “Weekend Plans Sponsor Inquiry” in your subject.