Hopefully you have been staying warm, it is COLD outside! Even my middle school son, who refuses to wear a jacket because he feels that his sweatshirt is enough, is wearing a winter jacket daily. I am very happy the days that I do not need to venture outside at all.
Here we are again, Friday morning. Not sure what you are doing this weekend? Here’s a great listing of some really fun things to do on Long Island with the kids this weekend. Remember that if you subscribe to this blog, you’ll get a reminder newsletter each Friday morning with links to all of our best posts of the week (including this one!).
If you are working on or know of an upcoming event that should be considered for a future Weekend Plans post, shoot me a quick e-mail with a description & URL for event details (please include “Weekend Plans” in the subject of the email).
Things to do on Long Island – January 10/11, 2015
Some events require advance reservations and/or ticketing, so make sure to plan ahead!
- Free crafts for kids at Lakeshore Learning Center (New Hyde Park)
Learn how to ‘read’ the signs of animals hidden in the winter forest through hands-on activities which will be followed by a short walk during Tracks and Traces at Nissequogue River State Park. (Kings Park)
- Drop in to Michael’s and let the kids enjoy 30 minutes of craft time in the Kids Club. (Locations across Long Island)
- Learn to identify trees in their winter form at an indoor workshop followed by a hike around Seatuck at Sherwood-Jayne Farm. (East Setauket)
- Celebrate National Rubber Ducky Day with a party, scavenger hunt and more at the Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum. (Cold Spring Harbor)
- Through January 22, enjoy GingerBread Lane at the New York Science Center. The entire GingerBread Lane is made of edible ingredients – gingerbread, royal icing and candy. Look at chef John Lovitch’s gingerbread creations that he drafted, designed, baked, planned, built and decorated over the course of a year. Last year’s exhibit was the largest gingerbread village in the world, recognized by the 2014 Guiness World Records. (Corona, Queens)
- Bring your train lovers and enjoy the model train show and exhibition with lots of trains to look at at the Freeport Recreation Center. (Freeport)
- Decorate your own custom stationary and celebrate “Letter Writing Week” at the Long Island Children’s Museum. (Garden City)
- Learn about the phases of the moon and enjoy space themed activities, learn about our solar system, and make a moon chart during Celestial Celebrations at the Long Island Science Center. (Riverhead)
- Explore the Nassau County Museum of Art during Family Sundays at the Museum. (Roslyn Harbor)
- Come and enjoy free crafts, entertainment, goodie bags, activities and more at Broadway Mall‘s Family Fun Day! (Hicksville)
Children’s Theater on Long Island – January 10/11, 2015
There are so many shows at local theaters going on this weekend, it needed its own list:
- Showplace at the Bellmore Movies presents Peter Pan
- Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts presents The Wizard of Oz
- Bayway Arts Center (Bay Shore) presents The Little Mermaid
- Long Island Children’s Museum (Garden City) and the EXPERIENtial Theater Company presents The Adventures of Perseus
- Merrick Theater & Center for the Arts (Merrick) presents High School Musical
Weekend Plans post, please e-mail info@LIParentSource.com and include “Weekend Plans Sponsor Inquiry” in your subject.