I feel like I always say ‘What a crazy week’ but really, what a crazy week! Did your kids have off from school for Election Day on Tuesday? Mine did, but I think there were a number of districts who did not. They’ll have off again next week for Veteran’s Day, plus our middle schools have half days on Wednesday AND Thursday for conferences. The week will be an absolute scramble because in addition to the normal insanity, I will be traveling for work. So we’ll regroup next week, and I’ll say, once again, WHAT A CRAZY WEEK!!
How did your family do with the turning back of the clocks? We were all off, but I think getting back in sync now. I can’t stand that it’s dark at 5pm, and soon will be totally dark by 4pm. I remember when I used to work in the city and had an interior office (no windows), I would leave my house in the dark and come home in the dark. Felt like one long, cold, sometimes wet, winter day. Here’s to hoping that this winter will go quick without too much snow.
Speaking of snow, if you want to have the inside track to the weather forecasts, make sure to follow My Weather Concierge on Facebook. He is seriously THE BEST. He accurately predicted pretty much all of the storms and false alarms last winter (and if you recall, there were a ton), and I wouldn’t steer you wrong on this. I know him personally (college friend) and for anything relating to weather, he’s the one that will keep you in the know. Did you follow him last year?
Things to do on Long Island – November 8/9, 2014
- Join the Early Bird Walk to stroll through Old Westbury Gardens and check out the fall birds. (Old Westbury)
- Don’t miss Anna, Elsa and Olaf before Disney on Ice “Frozen” moves on to it’s next destination after this weekend! (Uniondale)
- Looking for new sports or fitness activities? Learn about them at the GameOn! Xpo 2014 will be at the Long Island Sports Hub. (Syosset)
- Extend Halloween one last weekend with kids days at the Bayville Scream Park. (Bayville)
- Pick up a scavenger hunt and search for objects at the Whaling Museum (Cold Spring Harbor) and the LI Maritime Museum (West Sayville).
- Exercise your mind, body and soul at Fall Family Yoga at the Sands Point Preserve (Sands Point)
- Explore the Nassau County Museum of Art on Family Sundays (Roslyn Harbor)
- Remember all of the brave men and women who serve our country by writing letters to say thank you at the LICM. (Garden City)
- Free crafts for kids at Lakeshore Learning Center (New Hyde Park)
- Learn about veterans and how they’ve helped us advance in science – plus veterans and their families visit the LI Science Center for FREE (Saturday only) (Riverhead)
- Get a peek at all of the contents of Dr. Seuss’s Hat Closet, the first time the hats have traveled outside of his home! (Northport)
- Help Mr. Mouse with a silly balloon science experiment, and make a puppet afterwards (St. James)
If you’re in the mood to see a show, we definitely have you covered–
- Broad Hollow Elmont: Willy Wonka Jr.
- Studio Theater: Gary Ferrar’s Ah! Real Magic!
- Bay Way Arts Center: The Snow Queen
- CM Performing Arts Center: Beauty & The Beast
- Staller Center: Mike Super – Magic and Illusion
Some events require advance reservations and/or ticketing, so make sure to plan ahead!
If you’re a local business and you’re looking to sponsor a Weekend Plans post, please e-mail info @ LIParentSource.com and include “Weekend Plans Sponsor Inquiry” in your subject.