My afternoon was probably not unlike yours – within 25 minutes, I dropped my son off at his guitar lesson, ran to pick my daughter up from a friend and ran back to pick up my son. When we were finally on our way home, we were talking about all of the things they needed to do before bed – finish homework, unpack backpacks, take showers – when my (almost) 6 year old daughter said, “I wish I was a baby again.” My curiosity piqued, I had to ask why. Her reason was simple – because babies do not have to do homework. My 9 year old son then chimed in on the conversation and told us that although his reason was the same (homework), he’d definitely rather be a grown-up. As this conversation continued with everyone yelling out reasons why, I came up with an “assignment” for my son – make a list of 10 reasons why it’s better to be a grown-up than a kid.
After he wrote it, I read it and after the laughter died down determined that it was definitely blog-worthy.
Here is his list.
10 Reasons Why It’s Better to be a Grown-Up than a Kid (written by Aaron, age 9)
- You can drive.
- You can drink wine.
- You will have a credit card.
- You can buy anything you want with your money.
- You can have coffee.
- You can understand books like Twilight.
- You can watch any movie from G to R rated.
- You can say curse words all the time.
- You can do anything you want to.
- You can get a good job.
He then turned around and gave me an assignment – make a list of 10 reasons why it’s better to be a kid than a grown-up.
Here is my list.
10 Reasons Why It’s Better to be a Kid than a Grown Up (written by Mom)
- You don’t have to get up every day and go to work.
- You don’t have to worry about paying for gas at over $4/gallon. Or a mortgage, real estate taxes or a car.
- Your problems are generally small problems (who should I play with? what should we play?)
- Someone other than you is responsible for doing your laundry, packing your lunch and cooking and serving you dinner every night.
- Birthday parties.
- You get to participate in activities that involve playing something.
- Someone other than you is generally responsible for cleaning the space that you live in, including your bathroom.
- You get to go to sleep somewhere between 8 and 9pm.
Do you agree? What would be on your list?